Friday, October 16, 2009

Feeling Accomplished!!

So I was feeling a little better this afternoon so I decided to take on the task of finishing my rhinestone "Mrs. NewLastName" hoodie for the wedding day. I am feeling so proud, I wasn't very confident that is was going to work for some reason, but was so excited when I saw the finished product!

I got the instructions from another Knottie, who got them from a website. I got the instructions in my early knottie days, so I didn't think to take down the knotties name...sorry. If you're out there let me know and I'll give you credit!

 What you need:
1. Flatback Hot Fix Rhinestones
(I used 10ss 3m, which were ordered off ebay, I used between 700-800 rhinestones BUT I have a long NewLastName)
2. Mylar Paper
(I also purchased this from ebay I got 10 sheets for $5)
3. Tweezers or a wax rhinestone "picker-upper"
4. Computer/printer
5. Iron
6. Sweatshirt


 These are the instructions I got online, my notes will be in red.

1. In MICROSOFT WORD go to "Insert----> WordArt" and use WordArt to type out your text. Use one text box for your soon-to-be last name "Mrs.XXX" and then use a separate text box for your "EST. DATE" if you choose to include this. *I used PowerPoint because I am more comfortable with that over Word*

2. Use the Word draw tools panel and select 'Rotate or Flip' then choose 'Flip Horizontal.' This will flip your text so it looks like you are looking at a mirror image of the text. Next adjust your text for the font you want (Lucida Handwriting or Calligraphy are nice) and font size. Print them out and through trial and error see what will fit well on the undies you choose. Then print and cut out your text. *I obviously used a sweatshirt, not undies and chose Edwardian Script for my font because it has been the main font I have used for WR stuff*

3. Next, tape your text down onto your work surface and tape it so it stays in place.

4. Then take your MYLAR paper--peel off the sticky sheet away from the white backing and place the sticky sheet on top of your text--sticky side UP. Tape it down to the table, too, so it stays put. *The tape is SUPER important, you will go INSANE if you try to do it without taping the mylar paper down!*

5. Then just place your rhinestones onto the sticky mylar paper over your text (trace it with the rhinestones). Make sure your rhinestones are SHINY SIDE DOWN and glue side up. You should be looking at the glue side (when you flip it and put on your undies the shiny side will be up).



6. After you're done with the design, place it shiny side up onto your undies. Take a thin cloth or even thin t-shirt and place it over the design/mylar paper. On high heat and NO STEAM place the iron over the design (and cloth) and put pressure. This is melting the glue! Do this until you feel the stones are setting. Then flip the undies over and apply the iron to the back of the undies too. This is IMPORTANT in making sure they set! *When you go to remove the mylar paper, do it SLOWLY because some rhinestones might not of stuck and you may need to be ironed a second or third time*


That's all there is to it! It's pretty cumbersome, but easy non-the-less. I took the top of one of our TV trays off and put it on my lap in the lazy-boy and watched TV while tracing the letters with the rhinestones. That helped keep me comfortable and made it easy to put away everything if I had to take a break (it's not taped to the dining room table). I'm so excited to have this one done! But I skipped dinner to get it done, so now I'm off to find something to eat. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions about the process! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment