Monday, November 23, 2009

Understanding Team Jacob



So, unless you've been living under a rock for the past month, you are well aware that "New Moon" came out this weekend in theaters. I first have to admit that I am a big fan of the series, both books and the movies. In the past I have not been much of a reader, but once I graduated college I started reading for pleasure, and the Twilight series was a major part of that transformation in my life. I have read three out of four of the books about 4 times each. The other book was my least favorite, so I have read it 1.5 times (only reading my favorite parts the second time). I am not sure what it is about the series that draws me in and keeps me reading, but there is something that does. The writing is nothing special, but the characters in the book are slightly underdeveloped and there are definitely some holes in the story line, but I cannot help but become fully obsorbed in these stories.

Twilight (book): I really enjoyed the book, it's what got me sucked into the series as a whole and have found "new things" each time I've read it.






Twilight the Movie: eh, it was alright. It was too dark and the characters love story got the shaft. A LOT of the things were taken out of the movie for time/editing and I was quite disappointed, that didn't stop me from pre-ordering the 3 disc edition from Amazon three months ahead of time.

New Moon (book): I found this book extremely boring and long in the middle, but the end has some of my favorite parts and some great story twists and turns. I am extremely thankful that I kept with it even with the desire to quit half way through.




New Moon the Movie: I was plesantly surprised. It was much better than the first movie. Most of the story from the book was part of the film, the soundtrack was ok (not as good as Twilights) but everything from the acting, characters, lines, cinematography, etc were SO MUCH BETTER!! I completely enjoyed this movie and plan on seeing it again. It also made me understand a character that I hated in the book, Jacob Black was played brilliantly by young actor, Taylor Laughtner (or however you spell it) and it made me believe his side of the story and feel for him, which is something the book NEVER did!

So the moral of the story?
Did I enjoy the book series? yes.
Do I think the writing was sub-par? absolutely.
Would I vote for Stephanie Meyer to win the Pultzer? Not a chance.
Do I watch/read/obsess over everything Twilight related? yep.

I have been sucked in, and I'm not afraid to admit it ;)

On a quick side note, we have put an offer in a house and are waiting to hear back from the bank to see if it was accepted. Hopefully we will hear soon.

More to come soon,
Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment