Sunday, November 1, 2009

DIY Coasters



Alright ladies! Here we go: These are the instructions for the DIY coasters I have been talking so much about. Please remember I got the idea from a Knottie: TheSaltyPeanut I found her and her outstanding bio on the DIY board. (I just went to the bookmark I had for her bio, so I could link it, but it seems to be gone).

What you need:
4x4 (or whatever size you want) White Ceramic Tiles
- I found the tiles at Lowe's (& Home Depot) for $.16 a piece, they come individually or in boxes of 80
Modge Podge
White Ceramic Paint (small bottle)
Small foam brushes
- These can be found at any craft store, I got them 20/$1 at Michaels during a Back to School sale.
Scrapbooking paper
Water Based Acrylic Coat
- I used Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic found in the wood stain aisle of Lowe's/Home Depot.


The Coaster Process:

 Tips:
*Doing them in sets of 20 - 30 at a time works best, it's not overwhelming and works best with timing for the Modge Podge layers.

*The coasters I used had bare edges, so I used the white ceramic paint to cover the sides.
*I leave the coat of Acrylic on for sometimes up to 3 days just to ensure that is as dry and set as possible.
 

1. Cut the scrapbook paper so it is 1/4 inch smaller on all sides then the tile (4 inch tiles will have 3 3/4 inch squares)




 



2. Cover the bare edges of the tile with the white ceramic paint. Depending on your type of paint or your amount of OCD you may need two coats. My first couple of batches I used two, but realized that there aren't noticeable differences between those with one layer and those with two. Stacking the coasters at varying angles will make it easy to pic them up without disturbing the paint on the edges.

 



3. Once you get through all of the tile edges take one of the tiles and put a layer of Modge Podge on the surface of the tile. 
 

4. Take one of the scrapbook paper squares and put it on top of the Modge Podge. To ensure the edges are going to stick to the tile, but a thick layer around the edges of the scrapbook paper by smashing the brush down around the edge. Then smooth an entire layer of Modge Podge on top of the paper. It's ok if it looks white, it will dry clear shortly. Do this to all of the tiles you have, laying them flat on a garbage bag in the order in which you do them. 





5. Once you've put the first layer on all the tiles start with your first one again, and put another Modge Podge layer on. (If you are doing a smaller batch give the tiles about 20 -30 minutes to dry in between layers) You will do this again so you have three Modge Podge layers on each tile. Leave them for about 4 hours to give the Modge Podge time to dry. 




6. Once the Modge Podge is dry (it may be slightly tacky, but it will be almost completely dry) put a thin layer of the Acrlyic coat on each of the tiles and leave them laying flat on the garbage back overnight so the acrlyic will set.



The next step would be to put whatever you want on the bottom so they won't scratch up table tops. I haven't gotten to this process yet, and once I do I'll post some instructions.


 Good Luck! Let me know if you have any questions, I will double check my instructions to make sure I didn't leave anything out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment